Mission & History

Mission & History

Mission

Why LCS?
For over 150 years students in the Mankato area have had the opportunity to pursue an academically rigorous, dynamic, God-centered education. We continue to work with families to develop the whole child, modeling and teaching core principles of faith, academic excellence, leadership and service, ensuring that Loyola graduates are well-prepared to face life’s challenges and contribute to faith, local, and global communities.

Mission Statement
By teaching and modeling Gospel values Loyola Catholic School is a dynamic, nurturing community which successfully educates students to be critical thinkers, moral decision-makers and contributors to our church and world.

We Believe…
God is the center of all we do
We are a Catholic faith community, which fosters life-long relationships with God, self and world
To serve is essential
In the pursuit of academic excellence
In helping each person grow toward his or her full potential

History

The tradition of Catholic Education in the Mankato area began in1865 with the arrival of the School Sisters of Notre Dame and the establishment of the first Catholic parish school at SS Peter & Paul parish. 

Loyola High School began in 1908 and Good Counsel Academy opened in 1912.  Three more parish elementary schools were added: Holy Rosary (1925); St. John the Baptist (1942); and St. Joseph the Worker (1958). 

In 1969, all parish school 7th and 8th graders combined in a new educational venture, Fitzgerald Middle School.  Later 6th graders were incorporated into Fitzgerald Middle School. 

St. Joseph and St. John Elementary schools merged in 1973.  When Good Counsel Academy closed in 1980, Loyola High School was invited to use the Academy building on the Hill.  Over the years, other grades were moved to the Hill:  PS-grade 3 in 2003, grade 4 in 2015, and grades 5-8 in 2017.

As the area Catholic Schools evolved into one PS-grade12 school, we honored the heritage of each of the parish schools, Fitzgerald Middle School, and the spirit of Good Counsel Academy.  We consolidated into one system known as Mankato Area Catholic Schools (MACS) in 1990.

In 2006 MACS was renamed Loyola Catholic School.  Today as throughout its history, Loyola is supported by the four local parishes: Holy Rosary, Saint John the Baptist, SS Peter and Paul and Saint Joseph the Worker, as well as the School Sisters of Notre Dame.

Loyola Catholic School has a long tradition of guiding students on their faith journeys and integrating principles of our faith tradition throughout our curriculum.

Loyola students and staff gather regularly as a faith community.  While not all our families are Catholic, we anchor our guiding principles in Catholic Christian values, especially expressed through service.  Students of all faith traditions are invited to share their own faith experience, enriching our school community and calling us to mutual respect and understanding.

The pastors of the four area parishes and the Loyola Board of Trustees entrust the administration of Loyola to a PS-12 Principal, currently Mr. Adam Bemmels, and an Assistant Principal, currently Mr. Kevin Elton.

As Loyola looks to its future, we are expanding our AP and elective course offerings, growing our Preschool and PreKindergarten class options, and using assessment data to ensure continuous improvement and academic excellence throughout the school.  We are cooperating with Diocesan initiatives in writing PS-12 curriculum for use across the Diocese of Winona-Rochester. 

Loyola Catholic School is accredited by AdvancEd Worldwide.